So… There I was looking at the huge bag of left over almonds, walnuts, macadamias, dates, coconut, chia etc from our Raw Yoga Bliss Bali Retreat and, despite my growing belly advising sternly ‘NO NO – No more delicious raw desserts’, I thought f#*k it… I’m going to utilise this makeshift kitchen at our Bingin villa and make some sort of amazing raw cake!
Now, I’m no raw cake aficionado but I do love a freestyle so here is the recipe from what I remember (and from what I could pull together without having to leave the house):
1 & 1/2 cups of almonds (mine were activated & dehydrated but not essential – good to soak for a while though)
1/2 cup of macadamias (simply because I had them)
1 cup of dates (soaked for an hour so a little soft)
1 generous pinch of cinnamon
2 cups cashews (soaked over night)
1/2 cup dates (soaked over night)
A couple of table spoons of coconut sugar (nectar is way better but working with what I got)
Half a cup of shave coconut
2-3 table spoons of soaked chia (I had some on hand and though they might be good for consistency)
Some nutmeg (up to you)
1/2 cup raw cacao
1/3 cup coconut oil (or enough to make it pourable
A splash of almond milk (I added this to make it a little wetter because I didn’t have much coconut oil)
A squirt of coffee flavoured medicine flower essence
I also added some almond meal (the leftover bits from making almond milk) simply because I was looking for something to do with them – very optional.
Before you do anything, fill your heart with love so you can pour it into your cooking (or uncooking)
1. Food process the base until in crumbs – I left a few chunky bits just because.
2. Press into a coconut oil greased spring form pan (or Tupperware container in my case) and pop into freezer
3. Blend filling ingredients adding dry first and wet as you go along to find the right texture.
4. Pour/spoon filling on top of base and decorate as you like – more points for creativity!
5. Pop in freezer for a few hours – as long as you can handle waiting! The longer the better… Absence makes the heart grow fonder after all!
6. Serve, photograph, Instagram, say a little prayer to infuse your food with love, eat, enjoy!
Let me know how you go